We’re one of the fastest growing homeownership companies in America. Why? Because we’re building a better way to get home and our customers love it. By combining the technology people expect with a seamless customer service experience, we’re making homeownership so simple it feels magical.
In 2018 alone, we’ve helped over 10,000 families get home, saving them on average $3,500 in upfront fees and days of stress-filled time.
Our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, IA Ventures, Ally Bank and others have invested over $85MM in Better and our vision of making homeownership magical.
A Better opportunity:
Better is looking for a Chief Appraiser to join the team. This person will work closely with our Head of Collateral to manage the priorities of the team. They will build a best in class direct engagement appraisal panel through the solicitation, selection and management of a nationwide panel of 10,000 appraisers. The Chief Appraiser will work in tandem with the Valuation Team from appraisal ordering through appraisal submission. Beyond producing high-quality appraisals and managing priorities, our goal is to build a process that will ultimately reduce the cost of homeownership in America. To do this, we need you to wear many hats, ranging from a visionary redesigning the needlessly complex appraisal process; a data analyst uncovering how to make the most impact; to a problem solver working with highly skilled engineers and industry experts to resolve technical and operational challenges.
Responsibilities will include:
- Monitoring appraiser retention, appraiser turn times, and appraisal quality
- Monthly reporting on metrics
- Assist with building a strong dynamic team
- Monitor appraisal compliance at the state and federal level
- Coordination of team members across multiple offices and time zones
- Advocate for technological resources that will streamline the appraisal process
Bonus points for:
- Being a licensed or certified appraiser
- 2-3 years appraisal management experience
- Strong written and verbal communication
- Perform well in team environments
- The drive to build something new
- Ability to work from the local office – this role is not available remotely.
Things we value:
- Curiosity. Why? How? Repeat.
- Nerdiness. Financial news and trends are fascinating. Seriously.
- Relentlessness. No one here gives up. We try. We fail. We try again.
- Passion. If you don’t get excited about homeownership, mortgages, and real estate, it simply won’t work.
- Smarts: book and street. We have to use all the tools at our disposal to build Better.
- Empathy and Compassion. You understand that people’s biggest dreams are in your hands.
- Communication. Can you ask for help or put your hand up when you don’t understand?
- Building. Doing. Making. Yes, we have to do a lot of thinking and talking to figure this stuff out, but you can’t wait to leave the conversation and build it.